Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Happy Teacher's Day :) an additional devotion to my Mak the Teacher and ALL Teachers

Again the perks of having multiple celebrations....

Looking on at facebook for a 'break' just now...and I noticed tons of 'Happy Teacher's Day' wishes...Gosh...since I don't go to school anymore...or have any kids (which means I need to get married :) ) so I'm not that in touch with the local school system...except for one BIG CONNECTION...

My MOM's a TEACHER!!!

So..My Mak is a Teacher.

From as far as I can remember, I grew up being the 'anak cikgu' (teacher's kid)... growing up in the 80s (and 90s) I got used to comments such as 'dah pandai baca...dah Mak dia cikgu' (he already knows how to read...well he's a teacher's kid after all)...so in a way...there's a certain expectation of being a teacher's kid.

At school...u can't really be naughty...because you're going to school where your Mom works...

Its so easy for Mak to check on me...especially about my grades and stuff...as my teachers are her friends...unlike other kids...I can't hide my report cards...I can't be that naughty...and when you have your Mom at school and you bump into her... you can get the 'evil eye'... you know...when your Mom disapproves of something... Well...you guys are lucky...you got the 'evil eye' only at home... I got it at home and at school...

But..one thing for sure...my Mom is pretty well known in the neighborhood and among neighbours...

Before she got her car...I remembered walking together in the mornings with her to school... I guess for her its like 'take your kid to work...everyday!'...there's quite an age gap between me and my siblings so I pretty much have her for myself at school :)

But walking to school everyday with Mom also means every morning I get comments like...'jalan betul-betul,,,jangan lompat' (walk properly...don't jump)... or 'baju tu...betul betul sikit' (tidy up your shirt)...gosh...those were the days..

I don't get any extra treatments from her though...she's very professional..in fact...I felt she's slightly harder on me at school since she's my mom...

But for all its worth...EVERYONE envied me...especially during standard 1... hey...at 7 years old...my Mom is my Class Teacher...who can beat that!!!? But all my friends loved her...I guess, she's more of an auntie than a teacher for them... the ones I keep in touch with still talk about her.

I remembered as a university grad on a break... I was driving towards the pasar malam (evening Market) with Mak..than out of nowhere...a very LOUD SHOUT...."CIKGU RAHHHMMMAAAHHHH" (Teacher Rahmah)...and I saw this kid running in his house' yard and waving frantically...

We both laughed...

Mak takes her job seriously...as a  teenager I always dread when I have to go and buy stuff for her students... she stay up late at nights to sew their school sports uniform...cook mee hoon goreng(fried noodles) for them... and so many stuff she did out of devotion...GUYS you're lucky she's your cikgu (teacher) ok!!! She even get her 'perks'...infact...if we have trouble with cars...one of her 'x-students' have a car workshop...I go there and the owner/worker will go...'owhhh anak cikgu...Mak sihat?' (owhh...Teacher's kid...how's your Mom)...see they don't even want to know my name...sigh....

Mak...you're special...and I know I'm special too... coz I get a Mak and Teacher all rolled into one...

To all the 'anak cikgu's out there' we're all Special!!!!

MAK...and all the teachers out there in my life...HAPPY TEACHER's DAY!!!!

Cikgu Hajah Rahmah binti Abdullah - MY MAK the TEACHER
Don't be jealous..I'm a teacher's kid (korang jgn jeles...aku anak cikgu) - Mak aku pencen bulan depan (My  Mak is retiring next month)

No comments:

Post a Comment